Transitioning to Lean-Agile practices for building technology-based capabilities is especially challenging in the government context.
But issues of legacy governance, contracting, and organizational barriers can be overcome with the right information and strategies. During this two-day course, attendees will learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency.
Attendees will gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. They’ll also get practical advice on building high performing, multi-vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, and planning and delivering value using SAFe. Attendees will also learn how specific leadership behaviors can drive successful organizational change, even in government.
Attending the class prepares individuals to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® Government Practitioner (SGP)
This course is based on version 5.0 of SAFe®.
What You Will Learn
On completion of the workshop you will learn to:
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindset, principles, and practices using SAFe®
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow-based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe® implementations adapted to the government context
- Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
You will also get:
- Instructor-Led Classroom Training (2 Days)
- 2 – 11 PDUs and SEUs
- Attendee workbook
- 1 free attempt of the SAFe® for Government Certification Examination as the exam fee is included in the course fee
- One-year membership with Scaled Agile
- One-year membership to the SAFe® Community Platform
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive:
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
- A foundational understanding the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
After the training session, your trainer will email the candidate details to Scaled Academy (the Accrediting body). with the ability to take the exam
- Exam name– SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner Exam
- Exam format– Multiple choice
- Exam Delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe® Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® Government Practitioner course
- Exam duration– Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions– 45
- Passing score– 33 out of 45 (73% passing score)
- Language– English
- Exam cost– First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy– Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any retake questions.
- You will receive your results for the class within 5 – 7 business days after the exam has closed.
- Once it closes, Scaled Academy will update profiles to reflect the certifications. When this process is complete, Scaled Academy will email you official notification. You will then have access to the member area and will be able to make your profile public within the Scaled Agile Community.
Until then, you have access only to your certificate.
- SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner PDF certificate
- SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe® Community Platform, which includes access to the SGP Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other SAFe® Certified Professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support you during your SAFe® journey